[PLUG-ANNOUNCE] Linux Inquiry / Event Information

Lee mob159 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 19 20:06:22 UTC 2002

--Hi all.  I sent this to the Linux Evangelist (Mr. Mandel) already, but am not sure if it was received so I am sending it here as well.

Dear PLUG members,

My name is Lee Klemp and I am on the board of directors for the Northwest LAN Gamers Association.  We are in the process of organizing our spring 2002 event called "The Promised LAN."  The Promised LAN is a 3-day "LAN conference" which brings together gamers and PC industry businesses in an interactive environment. The Promised LAN will include the full spectrum of PC enthusiasts, while also incorporating key players in the computer game software and hardware development industry.

With our event just over a month away we have over 400 of 500 PC gamers/enthusiasts signed up, and that figure has been climbing.  We are a CPL qualifying event hosting various tournaments, and we are also planning various workshops such as custom case modding, possibly overclocking, and we would love to have a Linux workshop.  We have brought in some supporting vendors/sponsors, and still have space for more.

We would very much like to work with PLUG on promoting Linux to the PC gamer/enthusiast.  Perhaps you would be interested in sponsoring our event by hosting a Linux workshop at the event.  This would be a great opportunity for us to spread the word about Linux and to help people learn more about it.  I am new to Linux myself and I also find a lot of people would like to know more about running Linux as a server, workstation, or as a gateway router for a home network.  We will be distributing registration packets to every event attendee.  These packets can contain any promotional materials you'd like to have distributed, and are a great way to communicate to our audience.

We would be happy to work with PLUG, or any interested member, to make something work.  We figure 60%+ of the attendees will be from the greater Portland metropolitan area and hopefully this will attract more Linux users and Linux promotion.  If you have any questions or require more details about The Promised LAN 2002, please contact us or see our website at http://www.thepromisedlan.net  We also have a press release available, in .pdf format, upon request.  Thank you for your time.  We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Lee Klemp
Northwest LAN Gamers Association
541-346-7354