[PLUG-ANNOUNCE] Advanced Topics at Roots - bring extension cords?

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue Feb 17 02:25:17 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 03:51:56PM -0800, Alan wrote:
> As you may or may not heard, we have lost our old location at Jax Bar for
> the Advanced Topics meetings.
>
> The New Location is at:
>
>   Roots Organic Brewery
>   1520 SE 7th Ave
>   Portland, OR 97214

Roots has wall sockets along the front wall, on which we will be
projecting.  There are 5 small tables, with 12 chairs, somewhat
near this wall.  One will be used for the projector.  There are
also 5 picnic tables, with built-in benches, each of which could
seat 6 friendly folk.  The picnic tables are about 20 feet from
the front wall.  If these get dragged closer, the person(s) who
does this should remember where they came from, and drag them back.

There is wifi, a "two bar" signal throughout the room.

There are two wall plates with 4 sockets each on the front wall.
The breaker box has about forty 20amp breakers to drive the
whole establishment - I imagine each plate has its own breaker.
Plenty of power for nefarious deeds.  However, if you at a
picnic table with a power hungry laptop, you will need a long
extension cord to reach the front.   The cord should be white
or brightly colored so people can see it in the dark.

As Alan said, be gentle with these folks.   After years of
practice, Jax got very good at serving us, and I expect it will
be three or four months before Roots learns how to accomodate us.
It will pay off in the long term if we are nice to them.

And BTW, Free Geek is about 3 blocks away, and their thrift store
is open until 7pm.  I don't think F.G. has extension cords, but
they do have power strips for expanding the extension cords that
others bring.

Keith