[PLUG-ANNOUNCE] March 17th PLUG Advanced Topics: What Went Wrong with My Disaster Recovery Plan

Michael Dexter dexter at linuxfund.org
Mon Mar 15 17:29:30 UTC 2010

                Better late than Never

              March PLUG Advanced Topics

    What Went Wrong with My Disaster Recovery Plan

7PM Roots Organic Brewery 1520 Southeast 7th Ave near Hawthorne

Brian Martin will be test-driving his IEEE presentation on his
experiences in a true, "abandon the building" disaster recovery effort.
 He'll place particular emphasis on where technically sound, well-tested
disaster plans often fail in a real disaster, and how these problems can
be overcome.

The best data center disaster recovery plans are developed carefully and
tested regularly. If you're at that stage, you may think you are well
prepared. In this entertaining presentation, Brian Martin describes the
unexpected problems that arose when a well thought out and tested plan
met a real disaster, and draws lessons that are applicable to any
disaster recovery situation.

Brian Martin has spent 30 years in the IT field, fairly evenly divided
between being a mainframe system programmer and a server system
administrator.  He has operated Martin Consulting Services in the
Portland Oregon area since moving to Portland from the San Francisco Bay
Area in 1996.  He has a wife, two cats, a dog, and nine in-service
computers at home.