[PLUG-ANNOUNCE] ANNOUNCEMENT: June PLUG Meeting: Security and OpenSSH

Michael Dexter dexter at ambidexter.com
Thu May 29 19:29:41 UTC 2014

Portland Linux/Unix Group General Meeting Announcement

Who: Steve Dum
What: Security and OpenSSH
Where: PSU, 1930 SW 4th Ave. Room FAB 86-01 (Lower Level)
When: Thursday, June 5th, 2014 at 7pm
Why: The pursuit of technology freedom
Stream: http://pdxlinux.org/live/

We will look at the security provided by OpenSSH and how the environment
it is used in affects it's security. When can SSH security improve
network security and when can't it.

This presentation assumes you have a basic understanding of SSH and how
it is setup. Those topics will be reviewed very rapidly as we dig deeper
into the security aspects of SSH. The discussion concentrates on SSH
authentication using asymetric or public key encryption.

SSH is widely used to provide convenient and secure access to multiple
machines on a local network, and to tunnel into remote networks to
access machines on those networks that aren't directly visible to your
local machine. We will analyze various use scenario's of SSH in these
two usage scenario's and also the advantages and disadvantages of using
an agent to facilitate SSH connections. For each of these scenario's, we
will discuss the privacy aspects of one's passphrase and private keys,
how secure the transmitted data is, and the ability of others to
'borrow' your credentials.

You should walk away from this presentation with a better understanding
of what actions you need to take to maximize your privacy, while reaping
the benefits of using SSH.

Many will head to the Lucky Lab NW at 1945 NW Quimby after the meeting.

Calagator Page: http://calagator.org/events/1250466063

PLUG Page with information about all PLUG events: http://pdxlinux.org/
Follow PLUG on Twitter: http://twitter.com/pdxlinux

See you there!