Arugmentation (Was: Re: [PLUG-TALK] Fair Use, etc.)

Craighead, Scot D craighead.scot at vectorscm.com
Thu Apr 4 01:22:30 UTC 2002

>That the US blatantly ignores international law?  That the U.S. and Israel
>are the sole voices of anti-democratic power in the UN?
>
>The World Court found that the U.S. was acting illegally (in violation of
>international law and valid treaties) in Nicauragua and found that
>restitution was due to the Sandanista government for those actions as well
>as an immediate withdrawal of troops and support.  The U.S. simply ignored
>the ruling and Congress gave 100 million dollars to the illegal effort.
>
>The U.N. then called for a vote to resolve that all nations abide by
>international law.  This seems somewhat inoccuous.  The vote was 94-3 in
>favor.  The three dissenting nations were the United States and Israel and
>El Salvador.  The New York Times chose to ignore that vote and run a
>story, instead, on overly high UN salaries.  In November of 1987, one year
>later, a vote was called again the UN generally assembly to require
>immediate adherence to the World Court decision.  This time, only Israel
>and the United States voted against it.
>
>During that same session, the UN then voted 154-1 with no abstentions for
>a ban on a build-up of weapons on space, a vote 135-1 banning the
>development of new weapons of mass destruction, and 143-2 calling for a
>comprehensive test-ban treaty.  In each case, the United States was the
>sole dissent, except for the test-ban vote where the U.S. was joined by
>France.

The Unites States is a soveriegn nation.  The UN has no right to decide that
the US or any other nation has to abide by it's rules.  The UN was created
by the US as a place that nations could talk and try to work out their
differences instead of going to war.  It is not a world government.  I know
that they think they are, but they are not.  The US allowed the world court
to try the Nazi's war criminals for the horrible things they did.  There was
no court that had the jurisdiction to try them.  This was probably a mistake
as now the world court thinks it has jurisdiction anywhere in the world.
They have no right to make the US or any other nation do anything.