Arugmentation (Was: Re: [PLUG-TALK] Fair Use, etc.)

Craighead, Scot D craighead.scot at vectorscm.com
Thu Apr 4 09:11:56 UTC 2002

>The US has consistently denied that international law applies to it,
>fails to pay UN dues, and still uses the UN to enforce its policies
>whenever possible.

This is not true.  The US has delayed payment to the UN, but has always
payed.  Not only that, the US pays the lions share.  I would like to see
a break down of the percentage of the total dues paid to the UN and how
much of it is paid by the US.  In addition, we pay for UN representatives
to live in very expensive apartments in New York City.

>No, it's not a world government.  But we set up systems in order to
>prevent war and when those systems find the U.S. at fault, they are
>ignored and when they find someone else at fault, the U.S. sends in
>troops.

That's one spin on it.  What I see is when the UN decides force must be
used, they decide that it is American servicemen that need to do the
bleeding and the US tax payers that needs to fund it.

>The World Court has jurisdiction in cases where international law has
> been broken by the states that had previously agreed to abide by it.
>
>The U.S. should either officially step out of the UN (thus revealing the
>true "us against them" nature of U.S. foreign policy... possibly
>resulting in world war, certainly resulting in a change of status with all
of
>Europe and Japan) or start abiding by International Law, honoring valid
>treaties and the sovereignty of foreign nations, and playing something
other than
>the economic and military bully.

It's doesn't mean any us against them thing.  The US, like every other
country
in the world, looks out for it's interest.  The US gives millions of dollars
virtually every country in the world every year in foriegn aide.  In
addition,
US private charities give even more.  Any time anyone in the world has
problems,
Americans run in as fast as they can to try to help.  You are unfairly
characterizing the US.

>I understand you prefer the former.

Got that right.