Argumentation (Was: Re: [PLUG-TALK] Fair Use, etc.)

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Thu Apr 4 23:58:46 UTC 2002

On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, Craighead, Scot D wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, Craighead, Scot D wrote:
> >I have no real sympathy for Saddam Hussein.  But you have to admit that,
> >like in Afghanistan, the U.S. got exactly what it should have expected
> >considering previous action in the region.
>
> You really don't like America do you?

This made me laugh so hard.  You should take a look at this week's Tom
Tomorrow cartoon in the Willamette Week.

Wait, found it online:

Damn, that's funny.

> I'll tell you what I would really like to see.  I would like to see
> all the dictatorships and monarchies in the middle east replaced by
> democratic republics.  I'd like to see the people that live in those
> places have freedom and the prosperity that comes with a free
> republic.  Then we can finally have piece in the middle east for the
> first time ever.

And yet, democratic revolution is routinely put down by the United States,
monarchies are supported, and dictatorships are either supported or
actually installed by U.S. operatives.  (The most glaring examples being
Chile, Nicaragua, Iraq and Panama.)

Again, I refer you to the articles and books of Thomas Caruthers who
worked in the State Department's "democracy enhancement programs" in the
1980s.  He offers no real analysis of the situation, but makes it very
clear that actual democratic change is feared by the State
Department.  Remember, too, that Caruthers is a Reaganite.

YOU might support democratic change, but it's not in the interest of big
business, so it's not likely to happen without a revolution here, first.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net