Arugmentation (Was: Re: [PLUG-TALK] Fair Use, etc.)

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Fri Apr 5 01:51:22 UTC 2002

Also Sprach Craighead, Scot D <craighead.scot at vectorscm.com> on Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 05:35:19PM PST
> >No, I grew up a Protestant extremist and was raised by people
> >constantly telling me that America's leadership is the "Great Satan"
> >(if only the Great Satin!) and that I should hate negros, Jews,
> >Catholics, Muslims, Buddhists, gays, and just about everyone else.
>
> I'm very sorry to hear that.  I grew up dirt poor, but with the attitude
> that your race doesn't matter.  Or course dirt poor in America is not really
> that bad.

I wasn't soliciting sympathy; I was trying to show that there are
better ways to combat extremism than by a show of violence, which
only fuels it.

> >I also didn't grow up with the US and Israel outwardly doing
> >dastardly things to my friends and family.  I also had a lot of
> >opportunities and friends from other places who showed me the
> >narrowness of my thinking.
>
> This is where I disagree.  What dastardly things have we done to the
> Palestinians or any other Arab nation?  We buy their oil.  Without
> that, they would have no wealth.  Certainly we made a big mistake by
> walking away from Afghanistan without helping them setup shop after
> the Soviets left.  I think it is the Israeli's that are the victims
> in the current conflict.  They are responding the only way they can.
> If the US turned it's back on Israel, they would be slaughtered.
> That would be immoral for us to do.

I think Jeme and Russell have already given you examples of the
dastardly things we've done.  You seem to be applying a double
standard to Israel; you condemn the harm to civilians (rightly so)
when they're your own country, but when they're Palestinian
civilians (including too often a fair number of women and
children), you feel it's justified defense.

Wil
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley at nakedape.cc
irc.linux.com                             #orlug,#pdxlug,#lnxs