Argumentation (Was: Re: [PLUG-TALK] Fair Use, etc.)

Jeff A. Henshaw jeff at jhenshaw.com
Fri Apr 5 23:13:10 UTC 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Craighead, Scot D" <craighead.scot at vectorscm.com>
To: <plug-talk at lists.pdxlinux.org>
Sent: Friday, April 05, 2002 2:45 PM
Subject: RE: Argumentation (Was: Re: [PLUG-TALK] Fair Use, etc.)

> >Well,  I'd like to see us fix the plank in our own eye before we become
the
> >worlds splinter remover...
>
> If you read further, you will see that I don't advocate us being the
> "splinter remover", but instead that we stop helping dictatorships and
> monarchies so that the people who live in those countries can remove the
> splinter themselves if they have the courage.  So how do you propose the
> remove the splinter from our own eye?

Now that,  is the question,  isn't it?

Sorry for not really understanding that last part fully,  where you say we
should stop.  Do you mean we should stop doing everything that is
extra-constitutional or just stuff that costs a lot money?
How do you judge what they "should" and "shouldn't" do?  On a case-by case
basis?  On situational ethics?

Or on hard-and-fast, black-and-white,  tried-and-true law?  Why or why not?

I rather think education is the _ONLY_way to combat all forms of ignorance,
prejuduice,  lawlessness,  and injustice in this world.

I try to do my small part whenever and wherever I can,  and have for many
many years Scot,  starting with educationg MYSELF a little bit..

The biggest problem I see with making progress with any of the issues that
face us as a nation,  is an ignorant,  lazy,  or uncaring population who
would rather drink beer and watch the superbowl than discuss whether or not
the fact that their economy is based on a ponzi scheme,  or whether or not
the Hostage Resuce Team ever rescued a hostage or in fact actually is an
assasination squad,  or a terrorist organization by every definition in the
USA Patriot act.

These kinds of  problems with government are only possible because they have
an unlimited purse of paper play money to hire thugs and tax collectors
with.  ( of course as long as they are only assassinating that "whacko" guy
somewhere else,  who gives a damn, right?  pass me a beer!)

What I find is that people are "born" with opinions by and large,  and the
laws of nature be damned.  This is why education fails.