Arugmentation (Was: Re: [PLUG-TALK] Fair Use, etc.)

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Fri Apr 5 23:37:51 UTC 2002

At 02:56 PM 4/5/2002 -0800, you wrote:
> > I love websites that speak in half truths, doublespeak and broken links.
> >

>And your point?  Is there anyone who is 100% correct 100% of the time?

No, and in fact, I made that point several messages ago. We're all human.
Humans make mistakes.

>If you answer no,  then you must be admitting that your sources may not
>always be 100% correct either.

No, and that's why I always use at least two (most times, many more)
references that corroborate each other before I take something at face
value. Even when one source says something that gives you that "duh"
feeling, without any cooperation, I don't believe it.

This doesn't even count the things that I dismiss out of hand because the
logic fails miserably.

>Now,  thankfully we have laws of nature that govern over irrational emtional
>people,  whether or not they accept it or even know it.

You know, I tend to hold credence to sources that communicate well.
Communicating well includes spelling well.

>UAL stock and Buzzy Kroengaard cannot be denied,   can it?

I don't know. I didn't do the research. It sure sounds damning, but then,
lots of things are damning when the coincidence is strong enough. "K" is
the 11th letter of the alphabet and all that.

>I agree with Jeme that the preponderence of evidence is quite well
>established,  and I don't rely upon one website or the other - I use
>critcial thinking skills,  unencumbered by a fear of the govt or a fear of
>what my neighbor thinks for that matter.

Well, I have news for you. I rely on my own powers of deductive reasoning
too. What my reasoning says is that everyone who's forwarded one theory or
another usually has their own agenda. Just as I have no idea if O.J. was
guilty or not (I wasn't there and I didn't see him do it) I have no first
hand evidence of anything you've said.

>I don't look over my shoulder and see which way the bleating herd is headed
>before I can decide what my opinion "ought" to be.

And I did? I woke up that day, turned on the TV, saw a plane slam into the
second tower and went "OH MY GOD."

I don't care WHO did it. Those people need to be taken OUT. No one in
either of those towers was or should be a valid target in any war.

>Usually,  that kind of honesty is met with a lot of frenzied bleating from
>the herd.

So now you resort to calling me a sheep? Can you debate without the name
calling?

Russ Johnson
http://www.dimstar.net

Don't judge a book by its movie