[PLUG-TALK] Re: [PLUG] PLUG meeting

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Sun Dec 8 02:08:59 UTC 2002

On Sat, 7 Dec 2002, Paul Mullen wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 02:53:42PM -0800, Jeme A Brelin wrote:
> > Because your concept of freedom includes not just your own personal
> > freedom but ensuring the freedom of others.  This is the difference
>
> I can't imagine how freedom could be defined any other way. A similar
> distinction is that between "libertarian" and "libertine" (note the
> lower case 'l' -- I'm not referring to a political party).

Talk to Eric Raymond sometime.  It's quite shocking the way some people
believe that the world is their personal oyster.

> Your comment reminds me of an explanation I once read of the "life,
> liberty and property" turn of phrase often seen in early American
> political documents. Basically, it noted that the order of those three
> inalienable rights is critically important. Your right to liberty can
> never trump my right to life, just as my right to property can never
> over-ride your right to liberty (and so on).

More importantly, that the right to life cannot be trumped by the right to
property.  It follows, then, that hungry people taking food or homeless
people taking a building is not theft and so on.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net