[PLUG-TALK] Re: [PLUG] Free time wasted costs what?

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Mon Dec 9 04:24:24 UTC 2002

On Sun, 8 Dec 2002, Russ Johnson wrote:
> I know plenty of smokers who hate smoking, and alcoholics that hate
> drinking.
>
> For those that still do, it's just not painful enough for them to quit
> yet.

It's hardly that simple, of course.  Addiction is a very deep and
disturbing thing.  In the case of smoking, at least, there's an important
chemical dependency at work that can be nearly impossible to overcome.  In
the case of child molesters and drivers, you have deep psychological
problems that may be biological/genetic in nature and require some fairly
agressive therapy to get any kind of behavior modification.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net