John Hampton John.Hampton at gijoes.com
Mon Jun 17 22:04:52 UTC 2002

OK, in your original email you had a list of statements.  One of which was:

"We print DMV manuals in 27 languages.
We print Stop signs in English"

to which I replied:

"So?  I know of at least one other non-English speaking country that prints its stop signs in English.  (The country in question is Germany)"

to which you replied:

"No Comprende' Senior..."  <pedant>Which is incorrect Spanish</pedant>

to which I replied:

"Why not?"

to which your final reply came:

"Because you can't type in octagonal red letters,  I dunno"

Now, from your first post, I inferred, from your two statements and the positioning of such, that it is pointless to print our DMV manuals in 27 languages[1] since we only print our stop signs in English.  If that was not the intent of your statement, sorry, you weren't clear enough.  If it was the intent of your statements then my reply was, so?  Who cares? What does it matter?  Other countries that don't speak English as their native language use red octagonal signs with white letter spelling out the word "STOP" in the middle of them.  Since I was referring to Germany, I will clue you in to the fact that "STOP" is not a German word.  So? Why do they use English signs?  Maybe they should print their Driving manuals in English since their signs are in English to? To which I say again, what does the fact that our DMV manuals are printed in multiple languages and our signs only printed in English have to do with each other?

John Hampton
Programmer Analyst
G.I. Joe's, Inc.
john.hampton at gijoes.com

[1] I don't know if you are referring to the fact that the states collectively have printed DMV manuals in 27 languages, or if you are referring to the fact that Oregon has the DMV manuals in 27 languages (which I don't know is true or not).  However, I do know of some states that don't print everything in multiple languages.