Richard Langis Jr. richard.langis at sun.com
Mon Jun 17 23:04:57 UTC 2002

If I'm on vacation in France, I would perhaps expect *some* of the
locals to know a smattering of English.  Or, if I wanted not to be
regarded as a 'stupid american', I might learn some french or take along
an english->french dictionary of some sort.

However, were I to go live in another country, I would at LEAST learn
the native language.  For me to assume that the entire country should
learn MY language is elitist of me.  I think the same should go for
immigrants to OUR country though.  Before they can become citizens of
the United States of America, they should be *required* to learn
English.  Is that elitist of US?  Not in my thinking - the language of
the country IS, after all, english.  THEY chose to move here, and THEY
should choose to learn the language of the country they now inhabit.

Should we cater to the 27 different languages that the DMV prints
manuals?  I don't think so.  Those people should learn to READ ENGLISH
*before* they learn how to drive on our roads.

I would do the same were I in their position.

-R