Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Tue Jun 18 00:09:45 UTC 2002

On Mon, 2002-06-17 at 16:53, John Hampton wrote:
> >I still think this is a false statement.  I went all over Germany and never
> >saw saw a single sign in English.  I have to believe my eyes more than your
> >statement.
>
> I too went to Germany and saw English stop signs.
> And I trust my eyes too.  So I guess we will just have to disagree on
> this point.  (I will concede that it is possible that since the time I
> went to Germany they have taken all of them down, but there were some
> when I went last.)

You might have been a) In the American or English sectors or b) Seeing
German signs.  The German and English words "stop" are cognates,
although I think more often the Germans use "halt."  Actually, the
German word is "stopp".

Wil
W. Reilly Cooley                           wcooley at nakedape.cc
              * Linux and Network Consulting *
irc.linux.com                                     #orlug,#lnxs

ink, n.:
	A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic,
	and water, chiefly used to facilitate the infection of
	idiocy and promote intellectual crime.
		-- H.L. Mencken