Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Tue Jun 18 00:18:20 UTC 2002

At 03:53 PM 6/17/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>I would encourage people to
>immigrate here from other countries as long as they do it legally and expect
>to learn our culture.  I think it is ridiculous when people expect us to
>change our culture to accommodate theirs.

At the same time, this country is a country of immigrants. We all have
parts of our culture that stem from other parts of the world. I guarantee
you that Christmas didn't start on this continent. Having a celebration for
Cinco de Mayo is a neat thing. It expands our world view. Shows us that
we're not the only one's that had to fight off the old world oppressors. At
the same time, no one is forcing you to participate. If you don't want to
celebrate, turn on a blazers game and have a beer at home.

>  Part of out culture is that we
>speak American English.  If you want to drive on our roads or vote, you
>should have enough respect for us to learn our language.

Driving does not require English. When cars were invented, less than 50% of
the US population was literate. That's why we have signs with different
shapes and colors. That's why part of the driving test is a color blindness
test.

>Would go move to Germany and expect all the Germans to speak English to you
>and prepare the type of food you are used to?

You would be astounded at the number of people who do just that. My point
is, everyone needs to be a little more forgiving, and meet in the middle.
Take someone who doesn't know any English, and yell at them, "I'm not
letting you in until you know what I am saying." When do you think they
will understand you?

Russ Johnson
http://www.dimstar.net

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity