Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Tue Jun 18 04:08:58 UTC 2002

On Mon, 2002-06-17 at 09:39, J Henshaw wrote:

> then
> back
> > >
> > >Makes no sense atall.
> >
> > Makes perfect sence. If you can read english.
>
> I assumed you meant shouldn't, rather than should since you call me the
> perjorative "racist"
> Not to mention I haven't said that there should be immigration,  either.
> On the contrary,  I said we have an overpopulation crisis. Is that realist
> or "racist"?

Maybe you should read what I write, instead of trying to read between
the lines.

I assumed that, like me, your family tree would include folks from
multiple countries of origin. Granted, most of mine (75% or better) is
from somewhere in what is now Great Brittan, but there's also German,
and some Native American.

As far as an overpopulation crisis, by who's estimate? The country we
live in is underpopulated by standards in many countries, including "1st
world" countries. We currently produce more food than our population can
eat, so we ship the excess to other countries (both with and without
compensation). Granted, some of this food goes to dictatorships that
hoard it while their people go hungry, but that's another argument.

> > Really? What tribe? Just being born on this continent does not make you
> > "Native American".
>
> You are correct of course.  Luckily,  I wasn't only born on the continent, I
> was born in the united States of America and I respect her Laws as much as I
> respect the men who fought and died for this great country.

I too was born on this continent, and within the borders of the US.
However, I am not so arrogant as to call myself a Native American. I'm
Irish, English, Scottish, Welsh, German and Native American. Even that
part that IS Native American is only about 1/16th, doesn't count for
shit.

At the same time, I fully respect the troubles that the Irish, German
and Native Americans have gone through in this land that we claim as
ours. We've nearly destroyed all of the Native American culture that
existed here for centuries before the first white guy came to this
continent. Should we not respect THAT culture? Whole sections of NYC are
Irish folks, or German folks. We hold Oktoberfest in regards to our
German heritage. Why should we NOT have celebrations to honor events and
special things from other parts of the world... Parts of the world that
contributed every bit as much to OUR CULTURE as the English/Irish/German
and other European countries did.

In my eyes (and as you can see from the list above, I have very
Caucasian eyes) every festival, tradition, celebration, holiday, and
party is part of the US culture. We welcome folks from all over the
world, we ourselves, come from all over the world, and bring our beliefs
and traditions with us. To expect everyone else to stop being themselves
when we ourselves have already imported much of our own culture from
elsewhere would be ignorant, bigoted, and selfish. It's just more of the
NIMBY attitude, and folks not liking what's different from what they
did,

I have a shirt that put's it quite well:

"Don't have strong opinions about things you don't understand."

> Who do you work for?  Justice or Evil?

Justice for ALL. Not just those who stole the land first.

> It's that simple.

Yea, it is. What tribe are you from?

--
"The power to untie is stronger than the power to tie."

Well, yeah, otherwise my shoes would tie themselves.

---

Russ Johnson
Stargate Online

http://www.dimstar.net