Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Tue Jun 18 04:20:32 UTC 2002

On Mon, 2002-06-17 at 17:07, Craighead, Scot D wrote:
> What I was driving at (pun intended) was that we should not spend a lot of
> money translating everything into a bunch of foriegn languages.

Why shouldn't we?

> (By the
> way, are any of these languages native American?)

Oh for Pete's sake. ENGLISH IS THE NATIVE LANGUAGE OF THIS CONTINENT
EITHER!

Maybe we should have you take a DMV test in Navajo or Apache. And I'm
NOT talking about the web server. :P

> Instead, we should
> encourage legal immigrants to learn English.  We should discourage illegal
> immigration any way we can.  Immigrating to the United States is a
> priviledge, not a right.

They ARE encouraged. However, reading (in any language) is not a
requirement for driving. Having manuals in multiple languages simply
allows those that haven't learned enough English yet to become
productive members of our society. Without manuals in other languages,
it would take longer for those folks to get to a point where they are
productive, causing them to be a larger burden to the rest of us.

--
"The power to untie is stronger than the power to tie."

Well, yeah, otherwise my shoes would tie themselves.

---

Russ Johnson
Stargate Online

http://www.dimstar.net