Miller, Jeremy JMILLER at ci.albany.or.us
Tue Jun 18 00:00:35 UTC 2002

> Most of the folks I've met from Mexico work harder than their US
> counterparts, and are willing to take jobs that many US
> Citizens won't even
> consider.

True, that.  I would prefer coming here legally, though.  And learning the
language.  (Most do... but sometimes it takes a generation or two.)  I think
we're being almost too over-accommodating, when the focus isn't on making
them legal and teaching the language.  It is quite possible to retain one's
culture but still learn the language.  And you know what?  Many are doing
just that and are happy to do it.  Some aren't.

They are good people, just like anyone else.  (Including some of my best
friends.  And my brother-in-law, who shares our home.  Watching the World
Cup last night was quite fun. :)

But I think many people are in a bit of a panic, and don't understand that
it isn't much different than what has happened in the past, with mass
migrations from different regions in the past.  Even the language thing.
(Yes, everyone learned English... but like I said, it often took a few
generations.)  We shouldn't be too accommodating with the language, lest we
remove the incentive to learn.  But at the same time we shouldn't be making
transition harder than it needs to be, or we come across as hostile, and
kill the desire to learn.

> As for free food and medical... If the governments policy
> allows it, that's
> a price we pay. Either change the policy, or quit
> complaining. Again, this
> is the governments fault, not the fault of the immigrants.

I don't think the policy should allow it... but you're right.  That it isn't
their fault at all.  Would anyone turn that down?

> But who originally made it "bad" to come north across the
> southern border?
> I bet it was a conspiracy and propaganda from the government.

Funny thing is, strong resistance to immigration probably created the
"problem" to begin with.  If you won't let people come over legally, they're
going to do it illegally.  So who's fault is it REALLY that there are so
many illegals? :)

And not to stir up any more trouble but... ya know they WERE here first. :)

(Well, maybe not this far north but you catch my drift!)

Jeremy