Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Tue Jun 18 10:12:13 UTC 2002

On 18 Jun 2002, Russell Senior wrote:
> Russell> a) look up "tyranny of the majority";
> Scot> Why?  Sounds like a bunch of liberal garbage.  Maybe another way
> Scot> to say that would be democracy?
> Wow.  Was James Madison a liberal garbage spewer?

Actually, James Madison believed in the pre-Enlightenment idea that some
men were born with higher capacity and those men were landed and wealthy,
by natural right.

He foresaw a wealthy keeping the majority as a shephard keeps a flock.

He's the fellow who actually said, out loud, I'm led to believe, that "the
purpose of government is to protect the opulent minority from the
majority".

Later in his life, when he saw the effects of this new-fangled
"Capitalism" (this was the early 19th century), he rescinded his earlier
views and took a more Jeffersonian stance, claiming that men should, by
rights, rule themselves alone.

It is my personal belief (and I have no historical facts to back this up)
that Jefferson was purposely forestalled from attending the Constitutional
Convention in Philadelphia precisely because he would have insisted upon a
document more like the original Constitution of the State of Virginia
(which was authored by Jefferson and is a model for all free and open
societies) and had the accuity of mind, vision, and speech to strike down
the ideas of Madison and his like who created, instead, a constitution
that favored the wealthy and gave absolutely no protections to the rights
of the people.

> Russell> c) who is to say that maybe they don't want a dime of _their_
> Russell> tax money spent on documents written in english.  Do you
> Russell> really want to go down that road?
>
> Scot> Does that even make any sense?
>
> Not really, which is why what you propose doesn't make sense either.

Nice.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin