Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Tue Jun 18 10:43:17 UTC 2002

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, Craighead, Scot D wrote:
> True, but did the French issue you a French driver's license?  Did
> they translate their books on driving into English for you?  I would
> bet that if you wanted to take a driver license test in France, you
> would have to do it in French.  Does that make them bad people?

They have an official language which is the language that evolved in that
region in ancient times.  The official language is an attempt at
preservation of an ancient and venerated culture in order to counteract
trends of dominance which can wax and wane through centuries.

I think the United States of America could have done a better job in this
respect and made a greater effort to preserve the languages that evolved
on this land among its native people.  However, that didn't happen, so we
have the next best thing.

The only nations that I can think of that have an official language that
is not the language that evolved on that land are products of tyranny and
imperialism... mostly British.

I consider imperialism a destructive force largely because it not only
destroys native culture but imposes foreign culture over the top,
obliterating what was there before.  The implementation of official
languages beyond those which evolved naturally to distinction within a
region is one method by which that destruction takes place.

> So I guess that the immigrants that we speak of do not consider us
> worth comminucating with.

Hell, _I_ only just barely consider it worth my while to attempt to
communicate with you... and I was born here!

Seriously, though... it's a two-way street.  You are as much at fault for
that failure to communicate as they are.

> I would submit that English is the language of success in this
> country.  If you want to be successful in America, one way to help
> yourself is to learn English.

I think there are a whole lot of people who use that argument to sell
people on language lessons.  Perhaps you should join them.

Me, I'm not buying it and wouldn't encourage anyone else to do so.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net