Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Tue Jun 18 10:50:34 UTC 2002

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, Craighead, Scot D wrote:
> What I was driving at (pun intended) was that we should not spend a
> lot of money translating everything into a bunch of foriegn languages.

Aye, there's the rub.  ALL of the languages are "foreign".

> (By the way, are any of these languages native American?)

Nope.  See above.

Those cultures are no longer living, merely half-preserved in ritual and
half-remembered in tradition.  The destruction of the native language of
the people was one of the first and most important steps in the
destruction of that culture.

> Immigrating to the United States is a priviledge, not a right.

I'd say that statement has been false for most of the history of the
United States and I think it's pretty fucking arrogant of my grandfather's
generation to close the door on its way in.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net