John Hampton John.Hampton at gijoes.com
Tue Jun 18 19:18:14 UTC 2002

Scott said:
>You honestly don't know?  Let's see, we have certain types of music, like
>rock and jazz.  Certain types of clothes, like blue jeans.  Certain types of
>food, like hot dogs and hamburgers.  We enjoy certain types of
>entertainment, like baseball and football.  We share some common beliefs
>like freedom of speech is a good thing and dictatorship is bad.  All of
>these things were created in the United States (Since Russ forbits me to say
>America).

OK, I was born in Virginia.  My ancestors have also been born in the United States for quite a few generations back (at least to the 1850's on one side).  I point this out to illustrate the point that I am very much a US citizen/product of this country and one who should know "our culture"  So, now let's look at "our culture":

I don't really listen to jazz and abhor the new pop music (boy bands, Brittany spears, etc).
I do like Spanish music (not all, but the good stuff)
I like soccer more than baseball or football.
I love pasta and garlic.
I agree that free speech is a good thing.
I love speaking Spanish.
I think Japanese animation is cool.
I like British cars.

Does this mean that I don't fit in "our culture"?  Also it seems to me that most all of what you said was "our culture" has roots from other places in the world.  I propose that the United States of America doesn't have it's own culture.  We take what we like of all the cultures present in our country.  It is an individual thing.

John Hampton
Programmer Analyst
G.I. Joe's, Inc.
john.hampton at gijoes.com