Craighead, Scot D craighead.scot at vectorscm.com
Tue Jun 18 20:55:45 UTC 2002

>First, I'd like to point out that you admit that the stuff required of a
>pesron to become a U.S. Citizen is BS.  I'm the sort of person that
>encourages others to support removing BS from law.

Some of it is BS and some is not.  The correct thing to do is change the law
while obeying it.  Not just disregard it.

>Second, the simple fact that these people are able to receive the
>so-called rewards shows that they are NOT rewards for citizenship, they
>are simply services offered to all residents.  The rewards of citizenship
>are a U.S. passport and equal protection under the law.  Non-citizen
>residents do not get those rewards.

Voting is also the right of a citizen.  Not being deported is a right of a
citizen.  Services like medical care are not.

>I think the point we're all trying to make is that there is no "ours".
>There is yours and that might even be mine, to some extent (though we
>belong to distinct and rapidly diverging sub-cultures).  But there is no
>culture that can be said to be "ours" as a nation.  I point very quickly
>to the legal citizens who live as migrant farm workers, the Pennsylvania
>Dutch, the Louisianna Creole, and San Francisco Chinese.  Their cultures
>are as much "American" as yours or mine.  They are as old and as rich and
>as unique to this part of the world.

I bet if you asked a Mexican or a German what they thought was American
culture, they would be able to tell you what it is.

>And the best way to prevent special protection of a few (at the expense of
>others, always) is to provide equal protection for all.

And that is what we want.