Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Tue Jun 18 20:59:15 UTC 2002

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Craighead, Scot D wrote:
> You honestly don't know?  Let's see, we have certain types of music,
> like rock and jazz.  Certain types of clothes, like blue jeans.
> Certain types of food, like hot dogs and hamburgers.  We enjoy certain
> types of entertainment, like baseball and football.

So you eat meat, listen to rock and jazz, wear blue jeans, and watch
competitive sports for entertainment.

I can think of several hundred people in this city alone that are natural
born citizens of this country who share none of those traits.

> We share some common beliefs like freedom of speech is a good thing
> and dictatorship is bad.

Oh, really?  So the U.S. government that promotes dictatorships and
represses speech isn't part of your culture?  That's a relief.

> All of these things were created in the United States

Um, no.

Freedom of Speech and the vilification of dictatorship are far older than
the United States.  And hot dogs and hamburgers are both german foods.

> (Since Russ forbits me to say America).

Russ doesn't forbid it, it's merely inaccurate and misleading.  Mexico is
an American nation.  Mexicans are Americans... as are Argentinians,
Brasilians, and Canadians.  America is a descriptive term for the whole of
what the Europeans call the New World (though it's no newer than any other
part of the world).

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin