Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Tue Jun 18 21:03:39 UTC 2002

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, J Henshaw wrote:
> You forget the reason they all came here, it was to share a common
> cultural goal.
>
> Freedom.

I didn't forget that at all.  But sharing a single goal (and I wouldn't
necessarily say that freedom is a cultural goal, but rather a societal
goal) does not imply the desire to share a tradition, language, and full
philosophical doctrine.

But you forget that a huge number of people came here unwillingly as
slaves.  And another huge number came here to avoid criminal prosecution
or even as punishment or restitution for acts that are still considered a
crime here (like theft or rape or murder).

And the odds are pretty good that those people who came here not for
freedom, but out of coercion are your ancestors.  They did not choose to
share in anyone's culture or even their societal goals.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net