Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Tue Jun 18 21:13:42 UTC 2002

>>>>> "Scot" == Craighead, Scot D <craighead.scot at vectorscm.com> writes:

Russell> That wasn't an insult, it was an observation.  In the
Russell> context, I think it was a reasonable one.  Any others?

Scot> Just because it was subtle, doesn't mean that I didn't
Scot> understand it.  You are implying that I am too stupid to follow
Scot> a logical argument.

I didn't "imply" it, I "drew attention to it".  You said
(paraphrasing), I don't want my tax money spent on something I don't
like (e.g. multi-lingual government publications).  I said (again
paraphrasing) maybe they (non-english speakers) don't want *their* tax
money spent on something you _do_ like.  That, to you, one is
legitimate and the other is not indicates that you think you occupy
some "favored" position and that what you want should take precedence
over what anyone else wants.  In short, "that doesn't scale!"  It
isn't "equal protection under the law" any more then claiming it is
"okay" for boy A to take a piece of candy from boy B, but _not_ okay
for boy B to take a piece of candy from boy A.

I think that is a pretty simple logical argument to follow, and if you
actually can't follow it, then maybe you _are_ stupid.  Please, I'd
really rather assume that you are not.

--
Russell Senior         ``The two chiefs turned to each other.
seniorr at aracnet.com      Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible