Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Tue Jun 18 21:25:08 UTC 2002

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Craighead, Scot D wrote:
> >Which ancient and venerated culture which carries a language that evolved
> >in this region in ancient times shall we preserve through our law and
> >tradition?
>
> You say all of this and did not address the point I was making at all.

Actually, I addressed your point specifically in my first paragraph,
quoted above.

> You say it is OK for the French to have French as their official
> language, but if we do the same thing, we is bad. Isn't this
> inconsistent?

I didn't say that if we did the same, it would be bad.  I wrote that the
French are trying to preserve an ancient culture that uniquely evolved in
their region.  If the United States of America adopted an Official
Language (or set of Official Languages) in an attempt to do the same, that
could be as good as what the French do.  (Not that it's a good thing per
se, but that the we could use the same justification as the French.)

However, you're proposing that we adopt an official language that has
nothing to do with the ancient culture that uniquely evolved in these
regions.  You cannot appeal to the French as an example of what you
propose.

If you were proposing that we adopt one or many of the native languages of
this continent, you might be more credible in using the French as an
example, but you are not proposing that.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net