Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Tue Jun 18 21:32:58 UTC 2002

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Craighead, Scot D wrote:
> Voting is also the right of a citizen.  Not being deported is a right
> of a citizen.  Services like medical care are not.

Exactly, so as long as the non-citizen residents are not voting and are
being deported when the opportunity arises, then they are NOT "enjoying
the rewards without the BS."

My point exactly.  Medical services are NOT the right of a citizen, they
are the charitable services provided to all comers.  Taking advantage of
those services is not the right of a citizen exclusively and therefore the
non-citizens who take advantage of those services are not doing something
that only citizens can do.

> I bet if you asked a Mexican or a German what they thought was
> American culture, they would be able to tell you what it is.

I think you'd get wildly different answers.  And I think you'd find they
were based on stereotypes propogated by television and movies (tools of
the elite, not the people), rather than the way people actually live.

> >And the best way to prevent special protection of a few (at the expense of
> >others, always) is to provide equal protection for all.
>
> And that is what we want.

Great.  So we provide services in every language to allow equal
protection, rather than special protection for the few that speak english.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net