Craighead, Scot D craighead.scot at vectorscm.com
Tue Jun 18 22:02:15 UTC 2002

>What if the non-english speaker *IS* a citizen?  There are lots of
>them, you know.

Than that person would also have every right to petition the government.  We
were discussing ellegal immigrants when this came up.

>Wait, I know, there are more of "us" than "them" right now, so lets
>just vote, right?  Suppose we all vote to tax redheads at double the
>ordinary rate, or require them to hop on one foot for a couple hours a
>day.  "We" have a majority on that.  They aren't really part of our
>culture anyway.  They all come from Scotland or something.  Majority
>rules, right?  What is wrong with that?

We do have laws like that.  Smokers pay extra texes because they are in the
minorty.  The Oregon legislature is debating raising this tax again right
now becuase they know that smokers are a minority.  So you don't believe in
majority rule...what form of government do you like?  Perhaps an educated
elite that can decide for the crude masses?

>BTW, does it bother you at all that _our_ goverment's sole goal around
>the world is *precisely* to tell other governments what their laws
>should be?  We've got our grubby mitts *all over* this Loya Girga
>thing, and I only mention _that_ to be topical.

Yes it bothers me.  I made several posts regarding this in another thread a
while ago.