Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Tue Jun 18 23:12:40 UTC 2002

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Craighead, Scot D wrote:
> That's just reality.  If the person they need to talk (Congressman,
> for example) to about this speaks English and not whatever language
> they are speaking, they will have a hard time convincing that person
> of what they want.

Nobody disagrees with this, but we disagree on the solution.

You think we should encourage everyone to speak english.  My personal
opinion is that you choose this path because it is easiest for you as a
native speaker of english.

I think we should encourage more and better translating services and
encourage our representatives to speak the languages of all of their
constituents.

If you want the path that impacts the fewest people, encouraging public
servants to learn the languages of the people they serve is the best
solution.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin