Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Tue Jun 18 23:20:42 UTC 2002

Could you please set your timezone correctly so that your messages appear
in the proper, chronological order with everyone else's?

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, J Henshaw wrote:
> > I don't see a self-contradiction or a paradox.
>
> There is yours and that might even be mine
>
> > There is no mutually exclusive reality here.  If you have a particular
> > qualm, bring it up and we will all attempt to explain to you where you
> > misunderstood.
>
> There is yours and that might even be mine
>
> > However, you appear to choose only to take your first-blush
> > (mis)understanding as the True Meaning and make no attempt to seek
> > clarification.
>
> There is yours and that might even be mine
[snip]
> Look up the word yours and mine.  They mean two different things.
>
> That's why it requires two different words to communicate the two
> mutually exclusive precepts.

I certainly understand that "yours" and "mine" have different meanings,
but you are mistaken if you think they are mutually exclusive concepts.

For example, the right to post to PLUG-talk is mine.  The right to post to
PLUG-talk is also yours.  In fact, it is a right we share.

It is very common to use the personal possessive for things that are
actually shared.

In other words, "mine" is not the same "exclusively mine" and "yours" is
not the same as "exclusively yours".

Scot has his culture and, depending on your definition of that culture, it
might also be considered my culture (however, if his culture requires blue
jeans, hot dogs, and football, I couldn't be considered a part of or
sharing in that culture).  I'd be surprised if anyone thought this was a
contradiction.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin