J Henshaw jeff at jhenshaw.com
Tue Jun 18 20:49:11 UTC 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeme A Brelin" <jeme at brelin.net>
To: <plug-talk at lists.pdxlinux.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 2:02 AM
Subject: RE: [PLUG-TALK] Re: [PLUG] Sounds good to me ;)

> On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Craighead, Scot D wrote:
> > It is not greed to want to keep what is properly yours.
>
> Probably the disagreement here is on what can be considered "properly
> yours".  I don't consider "legally" and "properly" to be synonymous (nor
> do I believe that the majority of the consolidated wealth was obtained
> legally).
>
> > It is immoral to take what is not yours.
>
> I'm with you there, but, again, the disagreement is in the difference
> between what you can rightfully call yours and what you cannot.
>
> > It does not justify you to take some of mine because you choose to sow
> > less than I did.
>
> You're attributing reasons that are not evidence.
>
> A person is justified in taking some of what another claims if the other
> has no rightful claim.  To my way of thinking, a claim of need is stronger
> than a claim of want or simply a claim of possession and control.  Those
> other claims only come into consideration after the claims of need have
> been resolved.
>
> > Furthermore, I have a right to pass what I have accumulated to my
> > children when I die.
>
> And they have a right to what their parents have accumulated, by and
> by. Yes?  And power begets power, wealth begets wealth.
>
> This is the game we've been playing pretty rigidly in the first world for
> the past fifteen or twenty years.  In that time, wealth has consolidated,
> the rich are getting richer (both absolutely and relatively) and the poor
> are getting poor (again, both absolutely and relatively).  More people
> have less and the trend continues.
>
> That system allows for the occassional mercurial rise from poor to rich
> and the occassional fall from rich to poor, but the mass of men continue
> to live lives of increasing poverty, desperation, and want.
>
> Better, don't you think, to encourage cooperation, sharing, and the
> limitation of realty and personalty to need?  I'm not supporting a
> particular set of laws and I'm not supporting taking without mutual
> consent.  I'm trying to express the notion that having more than you can
> use is destructive to those who have less than they need.  I'm trying to
> encourage charity, generosity, kindness and respect and that, in turn,
> will promote openness, freedom, and abundance.
>
> The system you describe encourages greed, selfishness, imprisonment, and
> poverty.
>
> J.
> --

Jeme I feel your frustration with the greedy among us but you haven't been
able to perceive how it happens that the rich hosed you.

I keep trying to show you and tell you what I've discovered,  because like
you I once wanted to be a lawyer, and I learned more than they teach in the
school,  I learned the rest of it too.

And since the class of 78 for this country had less than 1% kids who were at
my 99th percentile reading and comprehension level according to the tests
they gave us,  you might consider listening to me.  I am not being arrogant
or egotistical,  just pointing out that this stuff takes a lot of reading
and comprehension and I am a resource.

Now on another note,  how many homeless bums have you taken in today?
All of the tired and poor you meet I assume?
Is your house over populated?
Or is it a closed border?