Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Wed Jun 19 07:32:05 UTC 2002

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, J Henshaw wrote:
> First,  you can't steal what no one owns.
> Care to dispute that?  Go look up theft in Webster's.
> Then we'll take the next point.

I think you're stuck in your own perception of property.

You believe that property is either owned or not and if nobody claims
ownership, there is no claim of any sort.

I've been trying to express to you that there are OTHER philosophies of
property that have nothing to do with the European tradition of private
property.  The Native Americans had one of these OTHER philosophies.

They're general philosophy was that no individual could claim ownership of
the land because the land is forever.  It is not a thing man made and
therefore it is not a thing over which humankind can claim dominion.

Claiming dominion over the land occupied and used by the Natives of this
continent was a violation; an invasion.  Claiming land for an individual
person that is not in the dominion of humankind is theft from the commons.

Consider the European invasion of North America as a massive Denial of
Service attack.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin