J Henshaw jeff at jhenshaw.com
Wed Jun 19 11:40:22 UTC 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Russ Johnson" <russj at dimstar.net>
To: <plug-talk at lists.pdxlinux.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 6:32 PM
Subject: Re: [PLUG-TALK] Re: [PLUG] Sounds good to me ;)

> Jeff, I'm so far from liberal that you'd think I was born with a
republican sticker on my butt.

> Yes, violence perpetrated on anyone is wrong. Yes, the majority of the
prison population in this country is black. There are two possibilities for
this:

> 1> Black people commit more crime.
> 2> White people convict more blacks than whites.
>
> I happen to think it's mostly 1, but partly 2 as well. These are not
mutually exclusive either.

> I've read where the root cause is because the folks living in
predominantly black areas of our country tend to have fewer things going for
them. Mostly because most of the money in this country is in the
predominantly white areas. Since folks tend to not go where they don't feel
safe, and "high crime areas" are avoided, it's a self-perpetuating problem.

> That's a thumbnail sketch of what I understand about this. That does not
make all black people bad, anymore than it makes all immigrants bad, anymore
than it makes all illegal immigrants bad.

Again,  they are still criminal uninvited
Your points are well taken but I'd rather have a concession on this small
point and take another STEP sooner or later