Craighead, Scot D craighead.scot at vectorscm.com
Thu Jun 20 04:24:58 UTC 2002

Russ:
>Language IS importand. The fact remains that we are a nation of
>immigrants, and as such, no one language is spoken by all.

I honestly don't see how you can say this.  All the signs are in English.
Legal documents are in English.  When a Government official gives a speech,
it is in English.  There are a few small pockets of people that speak only
another language.  They are a tiny, tiny percentage of the population.  Can
you agree with that?  I would say for all practical purposes, English is the
language we use in the United States.

Here is a seperate thought.  In Africa, the many tribes have many different
languages.  They have realized that it is impossible to learn all the
languages.  They have adopted English as a language to use when they are
talking to people that don't know their own language.  So if a person learns
English (the Queen's, not American) in addition to their own tribe's
language, they can communicate to nearly everyone.