Miller, Jeremy JMILLER at ci.albany.or.us
Wed Jun 19 22:25:03 UTC 2002

> And since the class of 78 for this country had less than 1%
> kids who were at
> my 99th percentile

Well, thats sort of an overly redundant way to state you were in the 99th
percentile, but others have expounded on that.

> reading and comprehension level according
> to the tests
> they gave us,  you might consider listening to me.  I am not
> being arrogant
> or egotistical,  just pointing out that this stuff takes a
> lot of reading
> and comprehension and I am a resource.

If you're just pleading that you are worth listening to, OK, fine.  I don't
think you need to plead, and the number of posts in this thread are
testimony to that fact.  But if we're supposed to impressed, I don't think
that'll do it.  Congratulations, you're one of 100.  I'm not saying that it
is trivial, or not something to be proud of.  Good for you.  But it's not
like that is such an incredibly rare thing that none of us should question
you.  Or that it even matters that much to begin with.  (including your
opponents)  Even the most brilliant mind can be mistaken, at any rate.  So
why even bring it up?

You may not intend to be arrogant or egotistical.  But many of those you are
communicating with see examples where they think you are.  Part of the
burden of communication relies on the communicator, and that means you.

Reread your last post... if you had left out that one little bit, it
wouldn't be showing itself to be inconsistent.  You go out of your way to
tell someone that you are not arrogant.  (Having to go out of your way to
point that out isn't a good sign BTW.)  You probably should have thrown out
the condencending (easily interpreted as arrogant) bit where you imply that
the other person may be measurably less intelligent than yourself.  Then one
would at least refer back to other posts to find examples to show you.

Because I am listening.  I don't see that others aren't listening, either.
I don't think any of us need to lay out IQ, SAT, PSAT, cholesterol count,
physical dimensions, or any other kind of scores to try to see who should be
listened to.  Let the words speak for themselves, not some measurement.

> Is your house over populated?
> Or is it a closed border?

Mine is neither.  One has to ask me to unlock the door, but that doesn't
mean I won't let anyone in.  Or that anyone coming in the door wish to push
me out of it.

But if they do, they've abused their welcome and are going right back out on
their head.