Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Thu Jun 20 09:15:25 UTC 2002

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, J Henshaw wrote:
> My ramblings are entirely on point I believe,  and we can't build a house
> until we have a plan that has a foundation.
> We cannot build the roof first.
> But I'm sure Jeme will have a translation for roof that means floor.

You spend more time making metaphors about your method of making points
than you do actually making them.

> The points I try to make are being made for logical resons, and most
> every tough question is either ignored or given a wiggly new math
> answer.
> That gets tiresome.
> I am trying to communicate with people who cannot add.
> 2+2=4 so the rafter shall be 4 cubits.

Let's try to explain this one more time:

Nobody is disagreeing that 2+2=4 is a valid statement.  Nobody.  We can
add quite well.

We are disagreeing that you can simply write 2+2=?? and assume EVERYONE is
going to see ??=4.  There are matters of interpretation.  Some people
might see ??=12 and be just as correct as those who see ??=4.

Now, if, instead, you were to provide THE WHOLE PICTURE instead of
assuming people think the way you think, you would write something like
2+2=??(base >3), then we would ALL see ??=4.

But you don't provide all the information.  You assume too much and then
call others foolish when they do not share your assumptions.

(You DO realize that 12base3 and 4 represent the same value, don't you?)

> Jeme's house has rafters that have 2 or more lengths in one rafter and
> it is not using the cubit, but an arbitrary measurement of his choice.
> This is clear to me.

I will not at all deny that it is likely I will use arbitrary measurements
of my choice (as well as arbitrary values), but the rafters will each have
exactly one length in that measure.  Whether that length is expressed on
paper as 4 or 12 is irrelevant.  The value is what matters.

> It will not stand if his rafters are nailed to the (windows in his
> case) with ink instead of iron, either.

You're mixing your metaphors, sir.

J.
--