Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Thu Jun 20 10:03:15 UTC 2002

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Miller, Jeremy wrote:
> The point is getting out, getting closer to nature, and pitting your
> skills as a predator against an animal that is more adept at evasion
> that most seem to think.  With the goal of bringing home a meal the
> same way a large portion of the animal kingdom gets theirs.)
> Anything else is cheating, unsporting, and the work of scum.

Don't you think the weapons that use chemical and mechanical advantage and
the scientifically engineered camouflage (as well as the pheromone
essences) kind of invalidate any assertion that you're doing anything "the
same way a large portion of the animal kingdom" does?

I'm not opposed to hunting for food, but I think you're being a bit
dishonest with yourself when you claim to be doing things like any animal
other than a human.

> Can't say I disagree much.  Read Fast Food Nation?  It'll make anyone
> cringe.  And is entertaining at the same time.

Kinda like Red Meat comics.

> > I tend to go for free range, hormone free food.
>
> For the most part it's healthier, tastes better, and more likely to
> support real people with your business... instead of some giant food
> corporation. Which is all good in my book, and worth the price if one
> can afford it.

All good in my book, too.  Not that anyone asked.

> I just sometimes go for REALLY free range, hormone free food.

Not that even wildlife can be said to be "hormone free" anymore.  Phew.

I was reading about a species of fish in England that appears to be going
extinct because they are sensitive to HUMAN hormones in their food supply
and inadequate disposal of human waste (particularly urine) is causing the
fish to become hermaphroditic and sterile.

> I just pay a small fee to some nice people who monitor the population
> for me (to make sure it is healthy enough to support my taking), and
> go out and fetch it myself. :)

That's interesting.  I don't really care to do it, but I'd be interested
to know more about the arrangement.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin