Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Thu Jun 20 12:55:43 UTC 2002

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Craighead, Scot D wrote:
> >I also won't concede that they are uninvited. The US invites everyone,
> >all the time. The words at the bottom of the Statue of Liberty are, in
> >no small way, an open invitation.
>
> These words were not written by Americans.  They were written by the
> French.

No.  You just assumed that.  You really should know whether things are
true or not before you use them to discount someone else's point.

The poem on the pedestal of the statue "Liberty Enlightening The World" is
called "The New Colossus" and was written by a woman named Emma Lazarus of
New York City.  She donated the only copy of the poem to an auction that
was raising money for the construction of the pedestal three years before
the statue arrived.

The statue was erected in 1886 and Grover Cleveland (then President of the
United States) who said that the light of the statue would "pierce the
darkness of man's ignorance and oppression".

Emma Lazarus died in 1887 and her poem was not added to the pedestal until
1901.  That's when people started thinking of the statue as the "Mother of
Exiles", welcoming all who come to a new opportunity.

The French had nothing to do with it.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin