Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Thu Jun 20 17:00:29 UTC 2002

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 03:03:15 -0700 (PDT)
Jeme A Brelin <jeme at brelin.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Miller, Jeremy wrote:
> > The point is getting out, getting closer to nature, and pitting your
> > skills as a predator against an animal that is more adept at evasion
> > that most seem to think.  With the goal of bringing home a meal the
> > same way a large portion of the animal kingdom gets theirs.)
> > Anything else is cheating, unsporting, and the work of scum.
>
> Don't you think the weapons that use chemical and mechanical advantage and
> the scientifically engineered camouflage (as well as the pheromone
> essences) kind of invalidate any assertion that you're doing anything "the
> same way a large portion of the animal kingdom" does?

Actually, no. I can point to many instances where fish fish for their food, spiders emit pheromones for their food, and the insect world is repleat with examples of camo.

Plants also get into the act and have colors and odors they use to attract other creatures. either for food, or for procreation.

Using our abilities is not a bad thing. Using them to destroy is a bad thing.

> I'm not opposed to hunting for food, but I think you're being a bit
> dishonest with yourself when you claim to be doing things like any animal
> other than a human.

I'm not sure I entirely agree with your thought here.

> > > I tend to go for free range, hormone free food.
> >
> > For the most part it's healthier, tastes better, and more likely to
> > support real people with your business... instead of some giant food
> > corporation. Which is all good in my book, and worth the price if one
> > can afford it.

And there's the rub. I can't afford to "eat healthy". Mostly because of choices I made earlier in life.

--
"The power to untie is stronger than the power to tie."

Well, yeah, otherwise my shoes would tie themselves.

---

Russ Johnson
Stargate Online

http://www.dimstar.net