[PLUG-TALK] Scot Craighead's mailer

Miller, Jeremy JMILLER at ci.albany.or.us
Thu Jun 20 21:38:50 UTC 2002

> Semantics are the "addition and algebra" of argument.

Yes.

> You can't get do "argument" without knowing the semantics first.

Correct.

> I'd also like to point out the fact that different geometries and
> algebras, often those that contradict each other, are required for a
> complete understanding of physics.

Of course, true.

But when discussing something with others, they may not understand some of
the different ones, or they may be limited to a particular set.  It would be
easier going if we recognize that and attempt to transpose it as best as
possible to what we think they'd best understand.  The finer details (which
may require other methods) can probably be ironed out after the fact.

Especially when some are around who will jump on something they don't
understand, try to isolate it as an "inconsistency", and dwell on it.  (They
may percieve it as avoiding their question and squirming around it, even if
you are not intending to, and are just answering to the best of your
ability, in the most accurate terms you know... which are taking you beyond
the simple set that the rest of the conversation is in, and what everybody
understands. How's that for a run-on sentence!)

Lastly, here is a simplification of this post:

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Let's pick one before starting, so we don't chop the poor thing all to bits.

:)