Miller, Jeremy JMILLER at ci.albany.or.us
Thu Jun 20 18:29:44 UTC 2002

> On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Russ Johnson wrote:
> > Well obviously if someone is coming at you with a knife and
> they have
> > "that look" then you can be reasonably sure that they
> intend to do you
> > harm.
>
> Even that's not enough to justify killing that person.  You
> have to have
> reason to believe that they are not only willing, but able.
> And you must
> also have no other means of avoiding their assault.

I say I'd concur here.

Kill only when truly neccessary.

I may choose to flee, but might instead decide I have an moral obligation to
stand my ground.

Particularly if by choosing not to would simply place another person at risk
in my stead, who may not have that same option or be aware of the imminent
danger.

I would probably opt to disarm, or immobilize, or any other means of
preventing the death of myself or others.  To kill is only the very last
resort, but my right if it really does come down to that.

Truly a thing to be decided on a case-by-case basis.