Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Fri Jun 21 04:08:40 UTC 2002

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Miller, Jeremy wrote:
> I'll clarify what I meant a little more... as you say, it is by no
> means exactly the same as a large portion of the animal kingdom does
> it.  But there are some similarities.

I appreciate your attempt to clarify, but I do understand the
similarities.  I just think it's a bit much to say you're doing it like
the animals do it.  You have a distinct advantage.  For one, you're not
out there doing it while you're hungry.  You have GPS or at least a
compass and a map.  You have a quick route home and a supermarket nearby
if you fail.  It's a totally different game in that regard (no pun
intended).

> I gotta resort to tools to make it more fair.

But you don't limit yourself to tools that make it fair, you have tools
that give you the advantage of certainty.

Really, the only question is tracking.  And you can work your way around
that, too.

> I generally don't wear much camoflage.  Maybe a little bit, but not
> some high-tech Mr. Invisible suit.  (Good way to get shot by an unsafe
> jerk.)

Well, we take advantage of the color-blindness of the prey, of course.

> I shoot to kill (preferrably instantly) on the first shot.

That's a HUGE advantage over the rest of the animal kingdom.  If you miss,
the danger to yourself fairly minimal.  You're at least a few yards away,
for one thing.

> Never used any scent products.  Coverups I think are OK, but
> pheromones kind of bother me.  I don't think that is very fair. (It's
> lying to the animal.  Seems dishonest, in a way. :)

I can dig it.  They didn't evolve along with a predator that mimicked
their pheromones the way some other species did.  They're not
instinctively expecting it.

> I'd also add that many using ALL of the aforementioned tools come away
> empty handed, even in the midst of a large healthy population.  It
> really is harder than it sounds.

I used to go hunting with my father.  I understand the difficulties.

When I used the word "certainty", I didn't mean certainty of a successful
hunt, but certainty of catching a meal, even if it's just Calamity Jane's
on the way back down the mountain.

> Most of the prey are well aware of the fact that many the funny
> critters on two legs can be just as dangerous (often much more) a
> predator as any cougar or wolf.  (Which we have to some extent
> replaced in the natural balance of their population.)

"Replaced" is a tricky word.  We might do the population balancing, but we
don't do the other positive things (like take non-game animals or leave
carcasses for scavengers or provide host for parasites and symbiotic
organisms).

> > I'm not opposed to hunting for food, but I think you're being a bit
> > dishonest with yourself when you claim to be doing things
> > like any animal other than a human.
>
> You use the the term "like", so no I don't think that would be
> dishonest, because "like" doesn't mean it is exactly the same.

Now THAT is the definition of "wiggle room".  But I left it and you're
welcome to wiggle in it!

> Although I did say "same".  This means you put it in better words than
> I did, and came closer to what I really meant.  Thank you.  :)

I do my best to be helpful.

> Does this sit a little better now, in light of the above
> clarification?

See for yourself.  I think the "like" makes it easier.  As long as you
understand that you're not acting the same as non-human animal predator.

> > > Can't say I disagree much.  Read Fast Food Nation?  It'll make
> > > anyone cringe.  And is entertaining at the same time.
> >
> > Kinda like Red Meat comics.
>
> Where do I find them?

Oh, I don't know if they're exactly your taste, but last I checked you
could read the historicals at <URL: http://www.redmeat.com/ >.

Son:  Mom, can I get braces?

Mother:  What are you talking about, son?  You have perfect teeth!

Son:  I meant for my legs.

      (Son holds up gnarled, twisted left leg)

Mother: Would you get back under the porch before one of the neighbors
        sees you?

> And you seen the meat hats?  http://www.hatsofmeat.com

I'm wondering if "meat hats" were the original creation of Mike Meyers in
his Dr. Evil origin monologue in Austin Powers: International Man Of
Mystery.

"In the spring, we would make meat helmets."

I never heard the idea before that, but now I see it every few months.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net