Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Fri Jun 21 05:47:04 UTC 2002

>> Most of the prey are well aware of the fact that many the funny
>> critters on two legs can be just as dangerous (often much more) a
>> predator as any cougar or wolf.  (Which we have to some extent
>> replaced in the natural balance of their population.)

Jeme> "Replaced" is a tricky word.  We might do the population
Jeme> balancing, but we don't do the other positive things (like take
Jeme> non-game animals or leave carcasses for scavengers or provide
Jeme> host for parasites and symbiotic organisms).

Furthermore, predators tend to eat the old, young, sick or weak first.
This has the effect of increasing the average fitness of the remaining
prey population.  Human hunters, armed with rifles and grocery-store
backup, are more likely to want to shoot the strongest, healthiest
individual prey animal first, which has the opposite bias.

--
Russell Senior         ``The two chiefs turned to each other.
seniorr at aracnet.com      Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible