[PLUG-TALK] Scot Craighead's mailer

Miller, Jeremy JMILLER at ci.albany.or.us
Fri Jun 21 16:28:14 UTC 2002

> If Scot is on vacation and connecting to his email through a web
> interface, I infer that he has some kind of TCP/IP connection
> independent of work.  Presumably this would allow him to run the email
> client of his choice.  Blaming that on a work situation doesn't
> follow.

I see.

I agree that if this is a connection outside of his work, he's pretty likely
to have control over it.

But it still isn't absolute, especially since you say he is on vacation.  He
might not be spending it at home, and the connection he has access to might
not be his own.  It may be a hotel, which may provide a machine or a dumb
terminal.  (I've been in some where it was an X terminal with netscape, no
less.)  Or a relatives house, or a library for all we know.  (Or I know, at
least.)  Unless you're packing your own laptop or something (which not
everyone has) you're stuck with what you can get.

In a case like that one might set up a new webmail account on a free (or
otherwise) service.  But if I already had an account I could use, that was
already setup and subscribed to PLUG-talk, and it was possible to just get
on that one via the web... I can see how that might seem reasonable to me.
If told nicely that it was misbehaving, I'd maybe reconsider, or see if I
could fix it.

The root of the key word you use is "presume".  Not bad in and of itself,
but not the best grounds for being somewhat rude.