Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Fri Jun 21 22:58:10 UTC 2002

On Fri, 21 Jun 2002 14:43:51 -0700 (PDT)
Jeme A Brelin <jeme at brelin.net> wrote:

> All of those are pre-dependent on the notion that you have to provide for
> yourself, even when you can no longer provide for yourself.  You can't
> possibly plan for every eventuality.
>
> I think everyone should take it upon themselves to help those around
> them.  This relieves you of the worry of planning for the possibility that
> you might become unable to provide for yourself.

On the other hand, I hope that those folks that can, plan in such a way as to hopefully never become a burden on anyone else. I'm working toward that goal right now.

I agree that helping out one another is a worthy cause, but I don't want to count on anyone else to provide for me. That too would be considered a form of greed.

> > Another thing. Wages are continually going up for the most part.
>
> Huh?  Real wages are DOWN by more than thirty percent over the past thirty
> years.  I'd like you to prove that wages are continually going up.

I'm talking dollar figure here. If I take a job that pays $75k per year, and most folks in that field earn $65k per year, most likely, those folks earning $65k per year will reach $75k per year in a year or two.

Will it spend the same? No.

Is my dollar worth less than my dads dollar at this point in his career? Yes.

Am I making more now than I was 5 years ago? Most definately.

Am I making more disposable income? Most definately.

> The only sector of the "workforce" that is experiencing continually
> growing compensation is the top 3%.  Everyone else is going down.

This also assumes no advancement for the workforce. I'd be REAL upset if I didn't get a raise every year, get a promotion sometimes, and I've changed jobs a couple of times in the last 10 years, with a large increase in salary. I've also increased my skillset, which makes me more marketable.

AND, all of my knowledge is self taught. I don't have a college degree. I have work experience, and I read a lot.

My point is that I have kept ahead of inflation very well.

> The minimum wage is half what it was during the Nixon administration
> (adjusting for inflation).

Everyone holds up minimum wage as a yardstick. Anyone who works for minimum wage for more than 2 years isn't trying to get ahead. Minimum wage jobs are not supposed to be jobs you stick with until you retire. They are jobs that you use to get experience and move on. Anyone expecting to live off minimum wage is lieing to themselves.

> > What is paying the most today, most likely won't be at a later time.
>
> What's paying the most is CEO and fatcat "investor".  Until we start
> compensating people for their work, rather than the wealth they already
> have, it will continue to be that way at a later time.

At the same time, in our system (right, wrong or indifferent) the folks you call "fatcat investors" take risks. They finance small businesses, hoping those businesses become profitable. Then they make their money back, with compensation. I work for just such a small business, and I'll tell you right now, I wouldn't be working here if it wasn't for those "fatcat investors". There are 120 living wage jobs here because some people saw that it was a good idea, and decided to finance it.

> > Socking that "extra" money away for a "rainy day" would be a good use
> > of that extra pay.
>
> Giving it to someone who is experiencing a "rainy day" would also be a
> good use and more likely to actually be useful than preparing for a day
> that may not come.  You should be able to rely on the people around you
> during your hour of need.

But I don't want to have to. That's my point. If I have the ability to provide for myself, and put away something for when I won't be able to do so, then I will. Call it pride, but I don't want anyone else to take care of me.

--
"The power to untie is stronger than the power to tie."

Well, yeah, otherwise my shoes would tie themselves.

---

Russ Johnson
Stargate Online

http://www.dimstar.net