[PLUG-TALK] Re: Inflation Sounds good to me ;)

J Henshaw jeff at jhenshaw.com
Sat Jun 22 09:00:24 UTC 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Russ Johnson" <russj at dimstar.net>
To: <plug-talk at lists.pdxlinux.org>
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2002 10:58 PM
Subject: Re: [PLUG-TALK] Re: [PLUG] Sounds good to me ;)

> > > Another thing. Wages are continually going up for the most part.
> >
> > Huh?  Real wages are DOWN by more than thirty percent over the past
thirty
> > years.  I'd like you to prove that wages are continually going up.
>
> I'm talking dollar figure here. If I take a job that pays $75k per year,
and most folks in that field earn $65k per year, most likely, those folks
earning $65k per year will reach $75k per year in a year or two.

> Will it spend the same? No.
>
> Is my dollar worth less than my dads dollar at this point in his career?
Yes.

> Am I making more now than I was 5 years ago? Most definately.
>
> Am I making more disposable income? Most definately.
>

> > The only sector of the "workforce" that is experiencing continually
> > growing compensation is the top 3%.  Everyone else is going down.
>
> This also assumes no advancement for the workforce. I'd be REAL upset if I
didn't get a raise every year, get a promotion sometimes, and I've changed
jobs a couple of times in the last 10 years, with a large increase in
salary. I've also increased my skillset, which makes me more marketable.

> AND, all of my knowledge is self taught. I don't have a college degree. I
have work experience, and I read a lot.

> My point is that I have kept ahead of inflation very well.
>
> > The minimum wage is half what it was during the Nixon administration
> > (adjusting for inflation).
>
> Everyone holds up minimum wage as a yardstick. Anyone who works for
minimum wage for more than 2 years isn't trying to get ahead. Minimum wage
jobs are not supposed to be jobs you stick with until you retire. They are
jobs that you use to get experience and move on. Anyone expecting to live
off minimum wage is lieing to themselves.

Because of fiat money and fractional reserve banking?
A loaf of bread cost the same for the first 150 years,  Russ.

Why doesn't anyone else care about the solution to the problem rather than
talking about symptoms?

It's real simple. Follow the Constitution.