[PLUG-TALK] Re: [PLUG] Win98 -- overwrite?

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Mon Jun 24 05:27:45 UTC 2002

On Sun, 23 Jun 2002 20:29:26 -0700 (PDT)
Jeme A Brelin <jeme at brelin.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Jun 2002, Russ Johnson wrote:
> > Not at all off topic when it involves the OS co-existing with any
> > number of Unix systems that are also proprietary and restricted
> > license-wise.
>
> But it doesn't matter which operating systems are on the other partitions
> (unix, unix-like or otherwise), so how is it relevant to this list?

In my opinion, they are using lilo or grub to boot, which we've talked about and supported others with on the list. In addition, they were asking if doing this would damage or remove their linux partition. Two highly relevant, and on-topic questions.

Besides, we should be more tolerant of other operating systems than those up north. Do you think they would answer the questions?

One of the things the Linux, Lilo, Grub, and several other OSes bring to the table is co-existance with other OSes. As a place to discuss Linux and Unix and their attending utilities and software, the list is just the place to verify information on what and how to do these things.

Regardless of what OS this person is trying to install, the questions were valid, and pertain to a lot of people who are slowly moving to Linux only systems.

In that regard, if we are to call this off topic, then we must also call discussions of Emacs, Vi, Opera, Xview, etc. off-topic, as that doesn't deal with "Linux or Unix". They are programs run on those OSes, but they are not the OS. Where do we draw the line?

If they were asking about installing FreeBSD on another partition, you would have no complaints, right? So what's the difference? They wanted to make sure they weren't going to damage their existing Linux partition.

--
"The power to untie is stronger than the power to tie."

Well, yeah, otherwise my shoes would tie themselves.

---

Russ Johnson
Stargate Online

http://www.dimstar.net