[PLUG-TALK] Re: OT Cell Phone and PDA thanks

Richard Langis Jr. richard.langis at sun.com
Mon Jun 24 19:19:53 UTC 2002

I agree that there are times when one should and one should not use a
cellular phone, however there ARE times when you *must* have that
connectivity available.

Occasionally my wife and I leave the kids at the grandparents' so that
we can go enjoy ourselves at a movie or dinner - two places where
cellphones should probably not be used.  But what if one of the kids
gets sick/hurt/otherwise damaged while we're out?  Turning off the phone
just isn't an option.  I put it on vibrate, or turn off the ringer, and
check it often to make sure that the grandparent haven't called while I
wasn't checking.  If they DO call, I'll call back - at the table if at a
restaurant, or outside the theater doors at the movies.

Oh yes, and I *can* use a cellphone while driving, thank you very much.
  It takes no more brain capacity to talk on a phone (for me) than it
does to talk to a passenger.  The numbers I would call whilst driving
are set on speed-dial, and I know the layout of my phone.  If I were to
experience an emergency driving situation, be assured that the phone
would hit the floor so that I could devote the extra 1% of my attention
to it.

-Richard

--
s u n  m i c r o s y s t e m s